Fire Department – Burn Permits
A permit must be obtained from the Prichard Fire-Rescue Department before any residential or commercial burn may be made within the city limits. Initial burning may be commenced between the hours of 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. only. The fire cannot be left unattended, and a water source must be available before the burn begins. The area must be inspected by a representative of the Prichard Fire-Rescue Department prior to the burn.
The burning of permitted items within the City of Prichard, may only be done during a specified time period. That period covers a span from November 1st , until the 1st of May. This time coincides with the State of Alabama’s Department of Environmental Management.
Failure to comply with the stipulations of your permit, when issued, subjects the offender to a citation; which may be in the form of a fine, or up to 6 months in jail.
The following is additional information regarding burning permits:
- The burning permit can be revoked by any authorized official of the City of Prichard
- Burning of household garbage, tires, roofing materials, plastics, petroleum based products, insulation on wiring or any products that produce dense smoke or toxic fumes is prohibited.
- The permit is non-transferable.
- Trash piles are to be kept at a maximum of 6’ in diameter; 4’ in height.
- All fires must be a minimum of fifty (5) feet from any structure unless otherwise approved by the fire chief. No fire shall be maintained or kindled on or in any street, culvert, ditch or public right-of-way.
- Weather conditions must be favorable for burning
- Smoke from the fire must create a traffic hazard.
- Consent of neighbors should be gained prior to burning.
For more specific information, to obtain a burn permit or to schedule an inspection, call 452-7817.